Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I'll have a cytoxin, shaken (not stirred), with a twist of fate...

"To Whom it may Concern: This letter is to confirm that Mr. Jason Holmes has completed all the necessary requirements for his doctoral degree... Mr. Holmes will be officially graduated on January 25, 2007"

That's what the letter says that I got after I defended my dissertation. This allowed me to start work and assume the full responsibilities of "Dr. Jason". So what? Well, I dug this letter out because I've been thinking about that date lately. In a crazy twist of fate, it turns out that Thursday, January 25, 2007 is not just a big day for me, it's a huge day. All in one day I'll become a doctor and a 3 week admitted patient. Sure, I technically get admitted on Wednesday, but the first round of high dose chemo comes on Thursday.

This makes me wonder, how many people have graduated and started their transplant process on the same day? Anyone? Do I need to wear my cap and gown?

4 comments:

Mike Holmes said...

Interesting question about the cap and gown... so I poked into Wikipedia... about the gown they say: "The gowns most commonly worn, that of the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Master of Arts (MA), are substantially the same throughout the English-speaking world. Both are traditionally made of black cloth, (although occasionally the gown is dyed in one of the college's colours) and have the material at the back of the gown gathered into a yoke. The BA gown has bell-shaped sleeves, while the MA gown has long sleeves closed at the end, with the arm passing through a slit above the elbow. In the Commonwealth, gowns are worn open, while in the United States it has become common for gowns to close at the front, as did the original roba." So with some liberal interpretation..... a hospital gown with a slit up the back and 4 ties just might work if you can get one in the school colors..... Dad

J. said...

Hey Jay,
Your dad beat me to it in regards to the gown...one additional piece of advice if you opt to wear it: go for two of them - one that opens in the front, one in the back - that way you'll ensure you're not the first person to graduate, start your transplant, AND be arrested for indecent exposure on the same day.

Great idea about the blog! Skip sends hugs along with your dad & I.

Judy

Jennifer said...

Dr. Holmes eh?

strange how big things tend to happen all at the same time huh?

I like the blog idea! You've got internet access, so when you have a chance go to youtube and search for scrubs charlie brown christmas. It is hilarious!

We're sending lots of love and healthy thoughts in your direction. Let me know if you need any contraband food....I make a mean lasagne!
:)
Jennifer

McKenna Marie said...

Hey Uncle Awesomest JJ- Mommy and Daddy and I are thinking of you today. I like to hold your picture and sing to you. Maybe Mommy can tape it and show you later :) Just so you know, I updated my blog for you.

Love you and Auntie Katie and my future cousin.

McKenna