Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Suprise! You stink!

So I got my stem cell transplant today. Biggest suprise? Right before I got my first round of cells at 10:00 in walks Kate! What a great suprise! She took the day from work to come be with me for my transplant. She brought new comfy shorts and some box drinks (the room is soooooo dry) and a couple of cards (one from her and one from abby). That certainly picked up my mood. I'd been missing my girls since the last time I saw them on Sunday. I was one happy transplant patient.

All in all the transplant was very anti-climactic. My nurse, Marsha (who's awesome), set up all this crazy stuff like suction, oxygen, heart monitors, etc. and I had none of the possible side effects. Well, other than the smell. The side effects come from the preservative that they put in with the cells to protect them when they freeze. Well, apparantly this preservative has a rather pungent smell. Marsha and Kate said it smells like a nasty, garlicy tomato soup or something, but for some reason, the patient (that would be me) usually doesn't smell it. I'm glad I don't smell it becuase apparently it's smelly enough that they give me an extra hepa filter in the room to get rid of the smell.

Nothing else to really report for now. I had a little indegestion and some blisters on my skin from the catheter dressing, but nothing too bad yet. Let's hope the rest goes as smoothly as it has so far. Knock Knock (that's me knocking on wood).

4 comments:

Decaf said...

I'm glad that today went well and that Kate was able to be there! I had no idea frozen cells smells like garlicy nastiness. Interesting.

I'm practicing my baby-sitting on this little boy that I'm going to start nannying on occassion. I picked him up after school and took him to a playground. I was uber-hawkish about his own safety, but I forgot my own. He was a "troll" under the bridge and wrapped himself around my leg and when I pulled myself (and him) out from under the "bridge", I promptly stood up and cracked my forehead on the support beam (and the nicely placed steel screw). Now my face is purple. Thought you might find that funny. Rest assured, the kid is bump-free and blissfully exhausted.

Unknown said...

Jason- Glad to hear that things went well today- and that Kate escaped RHS to be there! I hope that the rest of the transplant goes well too. :) Kristin

lea and wigs said...

Hey Jason....thought about you all day today as we do most every day! Talked to Kate this evening and she told me how well it went today,about her surprise visit, and...of course the smell!!She also said there is a possibility you could be home on Valentines Day!! That would be something!! You know there are lots of positive thoughts being sent in your direction!! There is another one!
Kate tells me that your little Abby is an active one....you best start swallowing that hospital food to build up your strength!! I have a sneaky feeling that Roxy may be the calming influence in your new family!!
Better days are ahead to be sure!! Love this blog, Jason. Some day you will reread all this and it will be just a distant memory....
Continue hanging in there! Hope to see you soon.
Love, Auntie Lea and Wigs

Jennifer said...

Just wanted to leave you a quick note to let you know we are thinking about you. Each day you record here makes it one day closer to getting home! I love being able to keep up with things here, it has become part of my morning routine. Tell Kate and Abby and Roxi we're sending our love!
(Reno says hi too, and can't wait for you guys to visit again! She LOVES little children)